David B. McConnell
Dave McConnell is a shareholder and director of Perkins Thompson and chairs the Litigation Department. He has a keen sense for practical solutions and he works closely with his clients to achieve cost-effective results.
Mr. McConnell’s practice areas include litigation, where his emphasis is on products liability, antitrust law, intellectual property and the evolving law on cyber security. He also serves as a mediator, arbitrator, and early neutral evaluator. He helps clients to deal with various local, state and federal government agencies and boards. Mr. McConnell maintains an active trademark and copyright practice and he assists clients with issues relating to document retention and privacy policies.
Mr. McConnell is AV Peer Review Rated for Ethical Standards and Legal Ability by Martindale-Hubbell. Mr. McConnell has also been selected by his peers for inclusion in the New England Super Lawyers directory for Business Litigation.
University of Virginia
J.D., with distinction | 1995
B.A., cum laude | 1988
Bar / Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit | 1996
- Maine | 1995
- U.S. District Court, District of Maine | 1995
- New Hampshire | 2015
- FTC Investigations: What To Expect When The FTC Comes Calling
- Wyndham’s Shot Across the Bow: A Challenge to the FTC’s Authority to Enforce Data Security Standards
- Cyber Liability Insurance Policies
- eBay Fumbles Breach Notification
- LinkedIn Privacy Claim Survives a Motion to Dismiss
- Facebook “Bug” Leads to Inadvertent Disclosure of Six Million Users’ Contact Information
- Data Security Breaches: Not Just a Threat to Big Business Anymore
- Data Security Starts With the Simple Stuff
- A Survey of New England Breach Notification Laws
- Why Your Organization Needs a Data Incident Response Plan: The Growing Need for a Planned Response.
- Once More unto the Breach: Courts Give Consumers More Rights for Cyber-Data Security Breaches
- Ten Tips to Protect Your Company From Cyber-Security Breach Liability
Publications / Seminars
- Co-Author of the firm’s Data Security Blog
- Plenary speaker at the annual Maine State Bar Association meeting on “Legal & Ethical Limits on Governmental & Private Party Access to Data & Metadata” in 2014.
- “Legally Fit in 2010″ in Best Ever You
- “The Sevin Made Me Do It: Mental Non-Responsibility and the Neurotoxic Damage Defense”, 14 Virginia Environmental Law Journal 151, 1995. Reprinted in MacArthur Foundation Law & Neuroscience Project Bibliography, 2010
- Co-Author, “Surgeon Demographics and Medical Malpractice in Adult Reconstruction,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, November 7, 2008
- Presenter, Seminar on Antitrust Law
- Presenter, Seminar on Applying HIPAA
- Presenter, Seminar on Legal Research
Mr. McConnell is a member of the American Bar Association, the Cumberland County Bar Association, and the Maine Trial Lawyers Association.
Service / Achievements
At the University of Virginia School of Law, Mr. McConnell was awarded the Dana H. Rowe Memorial Scholarship and was Articles Development Editor of the Virginia Environmental Law Journal. Mr. McConnell is active in the Maine State Bar Association and is a former Chair of the Young Lawyers Section. He is Director and past President of the Board of Directors for the Nathan and Henry B. Cleaves Law Library, and a Fellow of the Maine Bar Foundation.
Mr. McConnell is a Member of the Board of Zoning Appeals for the Town of Falmouth. He is President of the Board of Directors of Choices Are For Everyone, Inc., serving the developmentally disabled. He is a past Board Member/Secretary of the Atlantic Chamber Orchestra and past Vice-President of the Dartmouth Alumni Association of Maine.
Mr. McConnell is AV Peer Review Rated for Ethical Standards and Legal Ability by Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. McConnell has been selected by his peers for inclusion in the New England Super Lawyers directory for Business Litigation.
The Maine Supreme Judicial Court designates David McConnell as Katahdin Counsel for his charitable legal work for Maine citizens.
Mr. McConnell lives in Falmouth, Maine and enjoys spending time outdoors with his wife and three children.