Sara N. Moppin
Sara’s practice focuses primarily on business transactions, including entity formations, mergers and acquisitions, trademark registrations, finance, corporate governance, securities law, and general commercial law and contract issues. She represents start-ups, nonprofits, and established companies in a wide range of transactions and industries, and financial institutions in connection with secured and unsecured lending. In addition to traditional business and contracts matters, she regularly counsels clients with respect to regulatory and compliance matters in the areas of energy, banking, and consumer protection.
Sara’s representative experience includes:
- Representation of buyer in the acquisition of an auto sales business
- Representation of shareholders of regional heavy equipment distributor in sale of stock to publicly traded competitor
- Assisted privately held energy company with regulatory compliance matters associated with supply of CNG and LNG by truck to commercial and industrial end-users
- Analysis of foreign qualification requirements for sales-focused company with employees and operations located in several states
- Representation of quasi-municipal entity with respect to various contract matters and before state regulatory agency
- Representation of lender in the financing of major forest products and farming enterprises
- Preparation of local counsel opinions for use in financing and various other transactions
- Advise start-up companies with respect to choice of entity and securities law filing requirements applicable to private offerings
- Supervise due diligence investigations and draft sales and other agreements in connection with mergers and acquisitions
- Preparation and filing of trademark and copyright applications and maintenance filings
- Counseling clients on taking security interests in various forms of uncommon collateral, including standing timber, patents and trademarks, LLC membership interests, and bank accounts
University of Maine School of Law
J.D., cum laude | 2008
Research Editor, Maine Law Review
Loyola University New Orleans
B.A., magna cum laude | 2003
Bar / Court Admissions
- Maine | 2008
- Massachusetts | 2008
- Government Relations Practice Group
- Intellectual Property Practice Group
- Energy Practice Group
- Business Practice Group
- Banking and Financial Services Practice Group
Ms. Moppin is a member of the Maine State, Cumberland County, and American Bar Associations.
Service / Achievements
While in law school, Sara served as the Research Editor of the Maine Law Review and was the first annual recipient of the Shur-Frinsko Award for academic excellence in municipal law, land use, and local government.
Sara currently serves as an advisor to the Maine Community Foundation’s Cumberland County Committee, a fund that provides permanent grant support to nonprofits in the region. She is also a resource mentor for the Portland chapter of SCORE, a nonprofit that provides free business mentoring and workshops, and she is a PROPEL board member, a networking and development organization for young professionals. Sara is also a past President of the Cumberland County Bar Association and former Chair of the Zoning Board of Appeals for the City of Portland.
In 2014, 2015, and 2016, Sara was selected as a New England Rising Star by Super Lawyers in the field of Banking.
Sara lives in Portland with her husband, a spirited toddler and three high energy dogs. When she’s not working, Sara enjoys spending time with her family, hiking, traveling, cooking, gardening, and going to concerts.