The Litigation Practice Group’s specialty in Data Security, Document Retention, and Privacy can help you design effective solutions for data security and document management that comply with state and federal laws relating to information retention and privacy, while minimizing cost and legal risk. In the digital age, a comprehensive data security and document management program needs to include strategies for storing, protecting, and destroying electronic data in a variety of formats, as well as traditional paper files. We design and provide educational training for comprehensive document retention and data security programs for both international and local companies.
This practice group also has a wealth of experience handling what is, unfortunately, becoming all too common in today’s business environment – data security breach issues. We have assisted numerous clients in navigating the complex web of regulations and laws after experiencing a data security breach or intrusion event.
- Common-sense records management programs that meet your legal obligations and your business needs
- Strategies to prevent a data security breach and contingency plans that will go into effect in the event of an intrusion
- Policy and management programs in order to provide necessary protections for trade secrets and other confidential information
- Economical and effective strategies to help manage the discovery of electronic information in litigation or a regulatory investigation
- Sensible policies to govern employees’ use of e-mail, social media, and the Internet
- Useful advice on policy design that properly protects the confidentiality of information as required by state and federal laws
- Determine what breach notification obligations your company or organization has after a breach
- Draft appropriate notification documents and statements
- Mitigate potential liability due to a breach or intrusion
- Defend private or administrative claims related to a breach or intrusion
- Successfully negotiated the return of confidential data after a client’s disgruntled former employee refused to return a company laptop after termination. Perkins Thompson recovered the laptop and confidential data and was able to prevent the unauthorized disclosure of any of that information, thereby avoiding what could have been an embarrassing and expensive data breach.
Dave McConnell is the principal attorney in this practice specialty and has helped develop document retention plans for clients ranging in size from a small local real estate brokerage firm to a large multi-national corporation.
Joe Talbot is also a member attorney of this practice specialty and has experience advising a wide variety of clients on data security and breach notification issues. Joe is also the co-author of Perkins Thompson’s data security blog.