As one of Maine’s leading business law firms, Perkins Thompson is well known for providing legal services of the highest caliber to businesses and businesspeople. Our attorneys have experience and expertise in all facets of business and commercial law, including transactions of all sizes and types. Bringing to bear a collective body of expertise developed through years of practice and dedication to advancing our clients’ interests, we deliver results in a timely and cost-effective manner.
We pride ourselves on our ability to provide a full range of services to our clients to help them accomplish all of their commercial and business goals. We assist clients through all stages of business development, from startup to sophisticated ongoing concerns, and represent businesses in a wide range of industries, including petroleum and gas, manufacturing, real estate, biotechnology, information technology, food and beverage, and hospitality. A critical component of our practice is our extensive experience with state, federal, and international business regulations, experience we use to help formulate strategies for business success. From designing compliance systems for avoiding liability pitfalls to leveraging the ever-changing regulatory climate to maximize business opportunities, our involvement in regulatory matters is broad and deep, and includes work with the Petroleum Marketing Practices Act, the Truth in Lending Act, state and federal banking laws, franchise laws, corporate laws of Delaware and all New England states, SEC Regulation D and state blue sky laws, the Uniform Commercial Code, the Food Security Act, the Stark healthcare regulations, and many others.
Included in our full-range of legal service offerings, we:
- Advise on entity selection and draft organizational documents for businesses
- Draft entity documents, such as shareholder agreements, bylaws, limited liability company agreements, partnership agreements and corporate management agreements
- Draft corporate financing and commercial lending documents as well as intercreditor agreements
- Negotiate asset and stock purchases agreements
- Draft and negotiate the private offerings of securities
- Assist and advise in all aspects of mergers and acquisitions from completing due diligence to drafting the documentation
- Assist and advise on tax issues related to the business, its owners, and its employees
- Advise on employment, labor, and immigration issues and draft and negotiate employment agreement and stock option plans
- Develop business succession plans
- Advise on and negotiate sophisticated contracts and business transactions
- Advise on intellectual property protection and licensing matters
- Provide general counsel services
Recent Representative Matters
Examples of matters we recently handled include:
- Advised multiple seed-stage companies in multistate private securities offerings
- Represented multiple clients in stock sales and asset sales—both on the buyer and seller side
- Provide ongoing general counsel services to large multinational companies
- Advised a client with respect to a reverse triangular taxfree merger and drafted supporting documentation
- Represented numerous lenders and borrowers with respect to various commercial loan financing agreements, including major industrial construction projects.
With Perkins Thompson, you will find a smart, thoughtful, and responsive partner committed to your business success.